Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sports References in Transit

Growing up I was asked by my uncle if I was a Niners fan or a Cowboys fan. Yes I mostly grew up in Texas but of course I replied Niners due to the fact that you couldn't even call my Noni's house during a 49ers game and my mom always told me that Nono (read grampa) went to games at Kezar stadium. So when the game was on we were watching. So imagine my smiles when I saw this reference in the home of the Cowboys. Bill Walsh would be proud.

Michael Morris, transportation director for the North Central Texas Council of Governments, calls it an example of the "West Coast offense." The approach, which Morris says is used in some western states, calls for pooling money from various revenue sources for use on whatever transportation projects are most needed. Currently in Texas, each source of money is dedicated to a specific use, such as motor fuel taxes being devoted to build highways.

Expect to see more "West Coast offense" in North Texas, especially if the Legislature approves a plan being assembled by local officials to finance a regional rail transit system.

No comments: