Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Saluting Legends of a Different Track

In my former life before urban planning was even on the tip of my mind, I was a runner. It ruled my life and I threw my whole self into the experience. So to hear today's news is a bit sad. A few years ago I got to meet and eat with the most prolific track coach that the world had ever known. Arthur Lydiard's runners won many gold medals and he was an inspiring man. However a few days after I drank a Shiner Bock with him, he was gone.

Today we have lost another friend to the track community. J. Fred Duckett was an amazing announcer. He knew everything about the sport and always had a smile on his face. His booming voice could be heard blocks from the stadium and I can vividly remember him announcing the Texas Relays, the Kingwood Relays and specifically the State Track Meet. It's sad to know that the familiar voice that I grew up around on the track will not be there anymore. I got a chance to thank him after a race once, I told him I appreciated his knowledge and his announcing. I'd like to thank you one last time J. Fred. You will be missed. Rest In Peace.

No comments: